March 21, 2007

[THE GET IT]
One of the most common product questions that I get here at Guidewire is about a “good, inexpensive flat screen TV.” There are a few out there and there seems to be more and more as the technology progresses. In the past you’ve heard me talk about the Syntax Olevia and how it isn’t exactly a Sony Bravia but does get very good user reviews. Well, the Westinghouse LVM-37w3 is right up there. It is a 37″ true 1080p LCD HDTV. Other highlights include a super thin profile at only 4.7″, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 3:2 pulldown feature, stereo sound and a backlight life of 60,000 hours. Mwave.com is featuring this set for the bargain price of $989 with around $27 for shipping! If you want to see what other people are saying about this LCD, check out user reviews here.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA5…
[THE GIZMO]
So there you are, far away from home in a strange hotel room, you have to protect yourself. And I’m not talking about that Petri dish you call a duvet cover or the toilet seat that is so well protected with the paper sash. I’m talking about that broadband internet connection you’re frolicking around with. Who knows what that hotel has behind that connection? With the Yoggie Gatekeeper you’re covered. The Gatekeeper is an internet security appliance that physically sits between your computer and the internet, can fit in the palm of your hand and promises corporate-grade security. The plus is that you don’t have to load all of this security onto your computer which can sometimes slow things down. The Gatekeeper contains all sorts of protection like firewalls, antispyware, antivirus, anti-spam, anti-phishing and a plethora of other security apps, 13 in all! You get the idea, if you want the skinny, click the link and read on McDuff. 
http://www.yoggie.com/howItWorks.shtml
[THE GORGEOUS]
Man o man, take a look at this sweet new i-Volution case for Apple MacBooks from Vaja. It is pure, unadulterated, buttery goodness. Just look at some of these shots; with handles, without handles and some nice shots highlighting the superb craftsmanship here, here and here. These cases are handmade from fine Argentine full grain leather and take at least 25 days to complete. According to Vaja, these cowhides are chosen for their quality, strength and character and are “generally much cleaner” and have “minimal scarring and insect bites.” They also come in up to 1000 custom colors and can be personalized with your name or logo. This hand stitched beauty doesn’t come cheap, prices start at $392 without handles and $464 with handles.  
http://www.vajacases.com/images/notebook/…
[THE GREEN]
I love LEDs (light emitting diodes). They use less energy (80-90% less!), are more rugged, have longer life (30x longer), are more compact and have lower heat dissipation, just to name a few. When you consider the fact that they convert 80% of their energy to light, whereas traditional incandescent lights only convert 20% with the remaining 80% lost as heat, it’s a no brainer. Okay, okay, I know they are expensive and are in their infancy, but we are already seeing changes on these two fronts. This week Toshiba introduced an LED pot light in a standard 3″ diameter. The new E-Core LED produces 50 lumines per watt, compared to 6.4 for a traditional incandescent light. It is also reported that it has very good color balance and will cost under $200. There is a nice film on DigInfo for your viewing pleasure. Just a warning, the Toshiba link is from a Google translation of the Japanese site.
http://translate.google.com/translate?www.tlt.co.jp…
[THE GOSSIP]
It has been rumored for some time that Google is working on an end-all, be-all phone that will contain all sorts of magical goodness like Gmail, Google Maps, Blogger, etc. However, no one as of yet has been able to confirm even a single tidbit. This week was no exception with all sorts of rumors grinding through the mill. First up we have the loose-lipped Spaniards. Isabel Aguilera, CEO of Google Spain and Portugal chronicled here, discussing the development of a GPhone, codenamed Switch. In second place we have Reuters reporting on Monday that a phone analyst in London told his clients that “unspecified Google representatives” had admitted to working on a Google mobile phone at the CeBIT conference in Germany. And finally here is an image of a post that mysteriously has vanished where Simeon Simeonov, a technology partner at the venture capital firm Polaris Venture Partners, stated that Google “has a team of 100 people working on the Google phone.” In addition, Simeon stated that the phone would be a “Blackberry-like, slick device,” and would have “many services, including VoIP.”  Here is a shot of the proposed design. In addition to a great design, it will supposedly have a QWERTY keyboard, a 2-megapixel camera, WiFi, and 3G web connectivity.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56377.html